2016 MLB Playoffs Red Sox vs Indians Preview

Boston’s David Ortiz makes his last playoff run against Terry Francona, who helped guide Ortiz and the Red Sox to World Series titles in 2004 and 2007. The Red Sox had a chance to earn homefield advantage throughout the playoffs but closed with five losses in the last six games to drop into third place and make it necessary to travel to Cleveland for Game 1.

The Indians’ pitching issues have more to do with health as Carlos Carrasco (fractured finger) will miss the playoffs, Danny Salazar (forearm) is limited to the bullpen and Cy Young candidate Corey Kluber (quad) starts Game 2 on 10 days’ rest.

GAME: Boston Red Sox (93-69) at Cleveland Indians (94-67)
DATE/TIME: Thursday, October 06 – 8:00 PM EST
WHERE: Progressive Field, Cleveland, Ohio
LINE: Red Sox (-142)
TOTAL: 8.5
TV: TBS

About Boston Red Sox
Red Sox RH Rick Porcello (22-4, 3.15 ERA)

Porcello emerged as an AL Cy Young candidate in the second half and went 8-1 over his final 11 starts, yielding three or fewer earned runs in each of those outings.  Porcello earned a home win over Cleveland on May 22 and is 10-4 with a 3.35 ERA in 22 career starts against the Indians.
Boston is 4-2 ATS in its last 6 games
Boston is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games
The total has gone UNDER in 12 of Boston’s last 18 games

About Cleveland Indians
vs. Indians RH Trevor Bauer (12-8, 4.26)

Trevor Bauer might have slotted fourth in a fully healthy Cleveland rotation and struggled down the stretch with a 7.20 ERA in his last five starts. Bauer faced Boston twice this season – once in relief – and allowed a total of six runs and 10 hits in six innings.
Cleveland is 4-2 ATS in its last 6 games
Cleveland is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games
Cleveland is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games at home
Cleveland is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games at home

Red Sox vs Indians Game 1 Prediction:

It is too bad that injuries have really decimated the Indians rotation. Bauer should not be starting a playoff game. He has faded down the stretch and should really be a long relief option right now. The Red Sox will be able to get a few home runs off the Indians starters and this game might be a real blowout. Boston is a heavy favorite on the road at (-142). This is actually a break because it gives me a chance to bet a road favorite on the run line. I have two bets on this game. The Red Sox money line (-142) for 80% and the Red Sox run line (-1.5) at +115 for the remaining 20%.

Red Sox vs Indians Game 1 Pick: Red Sox on the money line and run line.